There are several foods and drinks that you may be asked to avoid before your cosmetic surgery, to achieve good healing results and minimize your risk of surgery. Your Nursing team will often give you a list of what you need to avoid taking before a cosmetic procedure. Ask your Plastic Surgeon what foods, drinks, and substances you want to avoid during your appointment, ideally well before your surgery date, so you can prepare. Be sure to let your surgeon know all the medications, supplements, and substances you use daily and which to avoid in the next 10 to 14 days or longer before your operation.
Green tea is one of the favorite drink of people who want to increase their antioxidant levels or improve their wellbeing. It has long been marketed as one of the best teas to improve brain activity, minimize the risk of illness, help you recover from flu, and potentially help you lose weight or reduce bloating. Yet drinking green tea in the days or weeks leading up to your plastic surgery may have a detrimental effect on your healing process or may pose higher risks during your cosmetic operation. Although it’s generally a healthy thing to drink, and you may want to pick it up again after your surgeon gives you the right to do so, after surgery, it might be best to take the green teacups at least 2 weeks before surgery. It could be best to stop drinking green teas before your plastic surgery because:
- Green teas can potentially interfere with your medicine and anesthesia. Green tea compounds can potentially react with some drugs and can cause problems with your heart rate or blood pressure. It’s important to talk to your Specialist Surgeon about any supplements and medicinal types of foods or beverages that are part of your daily or weekly routine.
- Green tea can influence the effectiveness of other drugs that you may need when you recover. Green tea, and many other herbal supplements or drinks, may alter the efficacy of certain medications making them more powerful or making them less powerful, depending on your system and the type of supplement or tea.
- Effect the capacity of your body to recover from surgery. Green tea has many benefits naturally, but when it comes to surgery, it has been shown to slow down the body’s natural blood-clotting capacity. If your ability to clot is compromised, this can increase your risk of complications during your surgery, such as increasing your risk of losing too much blood. Slow blood clotting patterns can also increase your risk of developing complications that can easily extend your recovery and healing time.
Other Common Foods, Nutrients, Or Supplements To Ask Your Surgeon
- Vitamin E – because it can cause excessive bleeding
- Vitamin C – because it can delay the closing of your blood vessels
- Multivitamins – because they often include high levels of vitamins C and E.
- Vitamins K and B – typically are also best avoided.
- Both herbal supplements and herbal drinks should be stopped for the same reasons as the vitamins mentioned above.
- Stimulants such as caffeine should be reduced or stopped entirely (ask your Surgeon)
- Other substances such as alcohol, aspartame, and MSG should be avoided before a procedure.
- Fat reduction/fat burning vitamins, detox drugs, and weight loss/diet pills should certainly be avoided for at least 2 weeks before surgery, sometimes longer (ask your Surgeon if you are taking prescription or over-the-counter herbal diet pills of any kind).
- Fish oil capsules or dishes that are very high in Omega 3 and are normally beneficial to your health can increase your risk of bleeding more than you would otherwise during surgery.
If you are considering any Plastic Surgery procedures in Turkey, like deep plane facelift surgery, consult the right plastic surgeon with the appropriate expertise in the operation. To get more information please contact us and let’s decide what is best for you. MAYCLINIK family always here to help.